Let get started on Operation Christmas Child 2017
The Missions and Membership Care Committee is collecting items for Operation Christmas Child. The shoebox is sometimes the first gift many children ever receive. The treasures inside these boxes communicate that someone cares for them and gives them an opportunity to experience the love of God.
We will be packing shoeboxes through the third week of November making it easy for you to bless a child in need.
There are several ways you can help with this very important mission:
- Purchase items to fill the shoeboxes. Place these items in the basket in the Social hall or the Missions donation box in the downstairs hall. An idea list has been provided.
- Make monetary donations designating the gift for Operation Christmas Child. The money is placed in a dedicated church account and used to purchase shoebox items and to pay for shipping. Shipping cost is $7 per box. The goal for SUMC this year is to ship at least 200 boxes.
- Pack a box. Empty shoeboxes will be available in the Narthex and the Social Hall. Pack and label the box using the directions inside the box and place in the mission box in the downstairs hall. A personal note, card or photo may be included in the shoebox gift. If you include your name and address, the child may be able to write back to you and your family.
- You can also go online and build a shoebox yourself at https://www.samaritanspurse.org/operation-christmas-child/buildonline/. By donating this way you receive a shipping label to discover the destination of your shoebox gift.
- Most importantly, please pray for the children who will receive our gifts.
If you have any questions or want to become more involved, please contact Jane Hisghman 465-5725 or Dianne Hisghman 465-8096. Thank you for your continued support of the SUMC missions program.
We will be kicking off our 2015 project with a Wednesday Night Dinner on September 23rd where you will be able to make monetary or item donations and learn more about Operation Christmas Child.
Here is a suggestion list for the Operations Christmas Child shoeboxes. Any donations will be appreciated. Please put the items or completed shoeboxes in the Mission tub at the bottom of the stairs by November 1. A donation has been received to pay the shipping for on all boxes.
Age groups: Girls or Boys
Toy: small stuffed animals, puppets, trucks, cars, yo-yos, jump ropes, balls, playing cards, travel games, musical instruments, dolls, glow sticks, Play-Doh, Barbie
School Supplies: pens, pencils, sharpeners, crayons, markers, notebooks, paper, solar calculators, coloring books, story books, glue sticks, watercolors, paint brushes, scissors, journals, small sketch books,
Non-Liquid Hygiene Items: toothbrushes, bar soap, combs, washcloths, band aids, travel wipes, Chapstix, make-up.
Accessories: T-shirts, socks, hats, sunglasses, hair clips, jewelry, watches, flashlights with extra batteries, flip-flops, gloves.
A personal note may be enclosed to the child and a photo of yourself and your family. If you include your name and address, the child may be able to write back.
Do Not Include!: Used or damaged items, war-related items such as toy guns, knives, or military figures, chocolate or food: out-of-date candy; liquids or lotions, medications or vitamins; breakable items, aerosol can, lip gloss, fruit roll-ups, fruit snacks or drink mixes. We will no longer be taking candy or toothpaste.